What’s good, wine people?! How’s everyone doing in this new day of social distancing? I’m not going to lie. It’s been hard not being able to physically be around my family and friends. Last night, I decided to leave the bat cave for a little and support some local wine bars. The restaurant and bar industries are really taking a big hit right now. Never in a 100 years would I have expected that a virus would cause so much of the world to temporarily shut down. I feel for the many businesses and individuals who are struggling as a result.
I follow a lot of wineries and wine bars on Instagram and know they’ve been limited to only pick-up and delivery services. It really made me think about the everyday wine drink who probably purchases their wine directly from their local grocery store. It’s crazy how hard groceries are being hit up right now. I think people are stocking up in the event that we will have to “shelter in place” like California implemented this past week. But, I say all this to say, let’s not forget about our local wine bars and retail shops. Let’s support them during these hard times too. Trust, major retail grocery stores are not missing any coins. They will survive the effects of Mr. Covid. Your neighborhood wine bar may not.
If ever there was a time to purchase your wine from a wine bar versus grocery story—the time is now. So many wine bars are offering really good discounts on wines-by-the-bottle. I mean these are high quality wines that you can’t find at your local Kroger or HEB. I picked up six new bottles that I’ll be sharing on my Instagram page and in future posts.And, let’s not forget the wineries. Tasting rooms were the first to close their doors. However, during this time wineries are offering really low deals on shipping.
It doesn’t look like we’ll be going much of anywhere anytime soon, so now is the perfect time to stock up! Besides, I hope you took my advice and are working on your coronavirus wine survival kit because times like this call for A LOT of wine! Oh and another great idea to support the wine industry right now is to purchase a gift card for the winos in your life. Perhaps for your favorite wine blogger whose birthday happens to be next week.
The great thing about wine is that it’s everywhere, so no matter where you live I’m sure your neighborhood wine bar, retail shop or winery could use the extra support right now. Since I’m currently based in Houston, I put together a list of wine bars that are offering discounts off wine bottles to-go in our area. Check out the list and feel free to share any deals that you know about in your city in the comment section. Until next time…glasses up!
Sips & Deals
- 13 Celsius: 35% off menu price.
- a’Bouzy: 10% off all wine + $18 mimosa kits which includes a bottle of sparkling wine and three fresh-squeezed juices. All alcohol must be purchased with food.
- Camerata: Get up to 30% off the listed price for carry-out. Buy a case to get an additional 5% off.’
- CRU Food & Wine Bar: 40% off wines to-go.
- How to Survice on Land and Sea Wine Bar: 50% off wine to-go.
- La Grande Rue: 40% off wine to-go.
- Memorial Wine Cellar: 6% discount on half a case (6 bottles) + 12% discount on full case purchase (12 bottles).
- Mutiny Wine Room: 15% for 1-5 bottles, 20% off for 1-5 + $20 minimum in food purchases, 20 for 6+ bottles, 25% for 12 bottles.
- Sixty Vines Houston: Any bottle of wine is 50$ off.
- Sonoma Wine Bar: 40% off wine (and when you use the #shopsmall code you’ll receive 10% off your total wine and food order)
- Vino & Vinyl: Buy four happy items, and you can get a happy hour wine bottle of your choice for $15. Total $35.
- We Olive & Wine Bar: 6% off 6 or more bottles + 15% off 12 or more bottles.